Friday, July 10, 2009

Lions and Tigers and Bear – Oh My!


What an amazing place! Berk and I decided to leave the ranch today and go to Yellowstone National Park. We drove about 35 miles in to the town of West Yellowstone to enter the park. There is definitely a reason they call this Big Sky Country. The views are amazing, even just driving down the highway. We were heading to see Old Faithful first and have a picnic. We were fully expecting to see wildlife along the way in to the park, but what we did not expect were traffic jams. The park is not that crowded, but they are doing major construction throughout, so you can be held up by as much as 30 minutes at each major intersection…painful! What I also did not expect was to see our first grizzly about a mile from the Ranch! We literally turned right out of the property and drove for a minute or so when I saw a number of cars pulled off the side of the road and a few folks taking pictures. So, of course I had to pull over too. And to my amazement we were staring right a grizzly about a quarter mile away. He was hunting for fish in the trout stream that runs through the Ranch. Berk was so excited she was taking a mile a minute. I never knew this little girl could come up with so many questions about grizzlies.


While we were actually in Yellowstone we were lucky enough to see just about every type of animal in the park: Wolves, coyote, elk, deer, buffalo, geese, etc., and we were about to see Old Faithful erupt.

No comments:

Post a Comment